Monday, January 02, 2006

Cock, Arse, Cock, Bugger

Having come across, at a gibberings-of-uncontrollable-glee-inducingly-low three figure price, a set of bound notes and correspondence relating to a certain set of Royal Navy gunnery tests, inscribed by a certain Arthur Pollen to a certain John Fisher*, I have just been informed that I have been beaten to the purchase by the British Library**.

Bugger. Bugger!!! I rather feel that my patriotic outlook ought to mean that I should be feeling a warm glow from the knowledge that, rather than gathering dust on my shelves, it has been "saved for the nation" or whatnot. Curiously, right now I feel more like engaging in an elaborate and noisy act of ritual suicide***.

You know those bits where Charlie Brown stands there and goes "ARRRRRRRRGH!"? That.


*Either you know who these people are or you don't.
**Which makes it doubly bad because the fact that it's in the BL's holdings means it will never, ever come on the market again.
***Or instigating some sort of Pink Panther/Wrong Trousers style criminal enterprise in order to get my sticky little hands on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home