Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Bookworm 2: I'm Losing It Boogaloo

I know that my haul of Christmas presents this year will include, as it does every year, several books, so I make a point of not getting into anything too "heavy" in the immediate run-up to the 25th because once the day comes anything I'm reading will be cast aside and perhaps not returned to for a goodly period of time as I munch through my new acquisitions.

A few months ago I picked up a hardback copy of Lionel Casson's "Libraries in the Ancient World" but with the onset of the new university term I didn't get a chance to start reading it before having to get back to the grindstone. It's only a couple of hundred pages long so it struck me that it would serve as a nice little time filler.

I can't find it anywhere. I know I haven't left it in Pimlico so... it should be here somewhere. But as far as I can tell it isn't. The problem is that now I'm beginning to think that maybe I only thought about buying it and didn't actually get it. Which makes me wonder whether I'm developing a truly olympic case of senile dementia five decades early.

On top of that in spite of scouring both my flat in London and my bedroom here from top to bottom I can't for the life of me find my copy of Loch Johnson and James Wirtz's edited volume on Strategic Intelligence, which seems to have vanished into thin air. Short of it having spontaneously combusted or been eaten by the black labrador I occasionally babysit I'm not sure what could have happened to it.

Anyway, it looks like for the next week I'm going to be reduced to re-reading this for the 34th time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home