Saturday, April 09, 2005

Other Men's Flowers

I'd encourage readers to check out the comment attached to this post, as to my chagrin it may actually be better than the post itself...

Incidentally, one of the points I make in my piece on Owen's poetry is that one of the problems of poetry as a source is that it rarely deals with the humdrum and the normal. I believe that this holds true and I stand by it. However, it is worth noting that perhaps one of the reasons for Kipling's greatness is that he does NOT live up to this rule and a substantial amount of his output deals with the everyday drudgery of barracks life and soldiering in England or India.

Of course, Kipling brings with him his own problems. As a reliable source for the "reality" of the experience of war, he suffers for the fact that he was not himself a frontline soldier, whereas Wilfred Owen (and Brooke and Sassoon etc) was. But Kiplng's canvas is broader and thus in many ways more convincing.

P.S. If anyone can tell me the significane of the title of this post, they win... well actually they win nothing. Nothing but honour!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Dave Collins said...

Was it Lord Wavell's anthology of poetry?

The honour will do very nicely, thank you (that's assuming I'm right, of course).

2:01 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

It was! Congratulations.


Though it feels like a bit of an anticlimax now...

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a flower chicago site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out when you have the time :-)

6:45 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

Arriving rather late on the scene, I have to point out that the phrase was not Wavell's: he was quoting Montaigne.
By the way, the comment before this one is comment spam and should be deleted. There are a couple of ways of stopping this.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home