Saturday, April 30, 2005

Dead Man Walking

Phil has the goods on the recent sentencing of Sgt Hasan Akbar.

I am not, by and large, an advocate of capital punishment (for procedural reasons - make no mistake, I believe there are numerous people for whom it would be all too richly deserved) but it seems to me that if it is to be maintained, this is a clearly justified ruling.

Akbar's crimes are horrible enough as they stand but it seems to me that there is something about the fact that he passed about the camp, casually rolling primed grenades into the tents of his comrades that makes the flesh crawl. Many factors go to make up a successful military organisation and one of them is trust. When the chips are down, your mates are the only people you can count on - you fight for them and they fight for you. For him to work with them, train with them, live among them and then calculatedly slide metaphorical knives into their backs seems to me unusually abhorrent, quite apart from the loss of life itself.

There have been numerous cases through history when serving military men have been condemned in order to set an example to others - the shooting of Admiral Byng ("pour enocourager les autres", as Voltaire commented) is merely the most obvious case. Sometimes this is a necessary evil. In my view the execution of Sgt Akbar is both necessary and just, a happy combination if happy is an appropriate word to use given the circumstances.

11 Comments:

Blogger john b said...

Phil seems to be neglecting one key relevant issue: Akbar is clearly mentally ill (as all prosecution and defence witnesses agree), and should have been dismissed from the army on mental health grounds long before he carried out the attack.

In pragmatic terms, court-martialling the people who kept him in the army despite his poor performance and demonstrable mentalism might do more than topping Akbar to prevent such attacks happening in future...

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey nice info you posted.
I just browsing through some blogs and came across yours!

Excellent blog, good to see someone actually uses em for quality posts.

Your site kept me on for a few minutes unlike the rest :)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Nice blog on blackwell publisher. It is always nice to locate an information source like this one. If you need some more resources, I invite you to our site which has lots of fresh information on blackwell publisher . Thanks...

10:11 AM  
Blogger banner ads said...

There is alot of Blogs, I never guessed I'd find some usefull information.

Thanks.
I'll be back later to see if anymore good updates are available.

8:21 PM  
Blogger banana2222 said...

Your Blog is great, but visit this great site about link popularity Building Link Popularity.
Thanks!

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It always helps to check several places. Like this one law

10:55 AM  
Blogger 性爱 said...

I am totally nude come see me. Take a bit for all pics and movies to load.

Why do I do this I like to make men blow their jiz in their pants.

Visit me.裸体

12:01 PM  
Blogger Doniette said...

How would you like to know about a Health Fitness resource, that displays all the Health Fitness information on one website? Check out
Health Fitness today. Not only do they have a good fitness book section, but they also have great articles on fitness. I was really impressed with the resources their webmster put together.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

6:17 AM  
Blogger HomeSellerMax said...

This comment has been removed because it linked to malicious content. Learn more.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a free site submitter traffic web site/blog. It pretty much covers free site submitter traffic web related stuff. Plus you can advertise to billions using our free site submitter traffic web tools.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home