Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Well now, this isn't very good is it?

Rather surprising and slightly weird. I'm not quite sure what the intention was.

I'm not a military sociologist and I don't really want to go into this at length because I'd be on pretty shaky ground and any conclusions I tried to draw would be exploratory hypotheses rather than anything solid. That said, I think it's fair to say that whether you believe that a country's armed forces should be "representative of society" or not, the Americans have done a far, far better job when it comes to ethnic minorities than the British Army has. It's over a decade since Colin Powell was America's senior military officer and at that point hardly anyone batted an eye. In a decade's time I reckon a British Colin Powell will still be pretty much unthinkable. It's ironic really because in many ways the pre-1945 British Army had a better record on race than the USA, even allowing for the fact that Britain was an imperial power.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home