Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy...

Newsnight had an interesting segment last night on a former KGB officer who spied for Britain and is now on hunger strike on Whitehall.

Especially interesting for me, as I walk past the bloke twice a day and had no idea who he was.

For the record, I'm dubious. The chap got his citizenship and his papers. He then had to fight for anything else he got. He fought and he won and he got £65,000. Good for him. But apparently he wants more and it's at this point that my sympathy begins to run dry. A lot of people don't get to start out with £65,000 in pocket - not enough to live the rest of your days on, but quite enough to set up the foundations of a nice little life for oneself as long as one is prudent while starting out.

Plus, when I walked past him the first time he had a sign saying something about Britain being a criminal "Zionist" state - a sure fire sign of either a crank or a complete git. So I'm not too sure what's going on there. It's an interesting story, however, and I may stop and wish him happy birthday on my way back to the flat tonight.

Incidentally, they had Oleg Gordievsky on and he pretty much took the view that the chap didn't know when he had it good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home